Thursday, November 09, 2006

Не дозволено цензурою

I have an old Langenscheidt dictionary that could be used as a guide to Russia. It was printed in Berlin almost 100 years ago. The issue I have was originally bought in a German bookstore that was located at Nevski Prospekt "№20". When I bought the book many years ago, a short text caught my attention: дозволено цензурою С.-Петербургъ, 20 Октября 1909 года. It had been allowed by the Imperial censor on 20 October 1909.

When I saw that text, it seemed lightyears away when Russia would print such verdicts on works of art, artist impressions or literary work. Of course the Soviet Glavlit was notorious, but things seemed to move into the right direction. That was, until I read the verdict on "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan".

Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores.

No comments: